Ely Tigers roar to narrow Wymondham win to retake their place at the top of the league

PUBLISHED: 12:53 15 February 2016 | UPDATED: 11:06 16 February 2016

Ely Tigers are back at the top of the Eastern Counties Division One after their 12-10 victory over Wymondham. Pictures: Steve Wells

Ely Tigers are back at the top of the Eastern Counties Division One after their 12-10 victory over Wymondham. Pictures: Steve Wells


Ely Tigers returned to the top of the Eastern Counties Greene King Division One table with a hard-fought victory over title rivals Wymondham.

The Tigers were toppled from the league’s summit by Wymondham a fortnight ago after experiencing defeat against Wisbech, but responded in perfect style with tries from Mitchell Kennett and Oliver Jones’ first for the club in a narrow 12-10 triumph.

On a chilly afternoon at Wymondham’s Tuttles Lane ground, both teams were unable to convert spells of early possession into points in the first quarter.

However, the hosts were eventually first to make their posession count after the Tigers were penalised for offside and a penalty was kicked by Tom Midgley for the first three points of the encounter.

Ely responded to going down well, and were soon awarded a penalty after Wymondham had their hands in the ruck.

It wasn’t in kicking range so the Tigers decided to aim for the corner, forming a maul and driving towards the five metre line.

The ball eventually found its way out to Mitchell Kennett, who held off his opposite number and forced his way over the line for the first try of the match, with Matt McCarthy adding the extras.

In the second half, the Tigers found themsevles defending their line after a strong Wymondham start. After a spell of pressure, the ball came out of the scrum to the Wymondham centre who was brought down but able to offload to Andy Mackay who crashed over and dotted down for a converted try.

Shocked by Wymondham’s positive start to the half, Ely regrouped and pushed forward, breaking the opposition defensive line but their efforts saw them unable to keep the ball in hand.

Their struggle to find a breakthrough came to an end when quick ball was thrown wide to winger Oliver Jones who sprinted round the opposition full-back and touched down in style for his first try for the club.

Ely, knowing their place at the top of the league would be secured if they were to hold on, were given an almighty scare in the last five minutes of the game when Wymondham had a shot at posts.

To the Tigers’ relief, however, the shot fell short, and some heroic defending from emerging star Harry Rogerson secured an excellent win for Ely.

The Tigers’ narrow victory took them two points above their championship rivals, with a clash agains Woodbridge next up for the league leaders.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard