Ely Tigers register second straight win by toppling league leaders Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
Harry Rogerson continued his excellent early season form by bagging another vital try as Ely Tigers toppled London 3 North East Division leaders Wanstead last weekend.
The Tigers sent Wanstead to their first defeat this term courtesy of scores from Rogerson and Chris Offley and assured kicking from Joel Scott Paul.
Ely began the encounter in dominant fashion, with Scott Paul’s two penalties giving his side a deserved early advantage.
The hosts dotted down for the first time soon after through man-of-the-match Offley, who scooped the ball up after the ruck and sprinted over.
Scott Paul completed Ely’s wonderful first-half performance with another successful penalty, and Rogerson capped a fine afternoon for the hosts after finishing off a flowing move involving John Dibb and Kieran Kennett in the second period. Scott Paul added the extras.
You may also want to watch:
Some sloppy play in the final 20 minutes allowed Wanstead a route back into the contest with two tries, but some impressive defensive work from the impressive Offley late on denied the visitors a third try.
Ely will hope to add a third straight win this weekend but face another tough opponent in the form of second-placed Upminster.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
After Wanstead’s defeat, Upminster are the only undefeated side in the division, and have conceded just 56 points in their four league games to date.