Ely Tigers register second straight win by toppling league leaders Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
Harry Rogerson continued his excellent early season form by bagging another vital try as Ely Tigers toppled London 3 North East Division leaders Wanstead last weekend.
The Tigers sent Wanstead to their first defeat this term courtesy of scores from Rogerson and Chris Offley and assured kicking from Joel Scott Paul.
Ely began the encounter in dominant fashion, with Scott Paul’s two penalties giving his side a deserved early advantage.
The hosts dotted down for the first time soon after through man-of-the-match Offley, who scooped the ball up after the ruck and sprinted over.
Scott Paul completed Ely’s wonderful first-half performance with another successful penalty, and Rogerson capped a fine afternoon for the hosts after finishing off a flowing move involving John Dibb and Kieran Kennett in the second period. Scott Paul added the extras.
Some sloppy play in the final 20 minutes allowed Wanstead a route back into the contest with two tries, but some impressive defensive work from the impressive Offley late on denied the visitors a third try.
Ely will hope to add a third straight win this weekend but face another tough opponent in the form of second-placed Upminster.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 3 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 4 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 7 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 8 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 9 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 10 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
After Wanstead’s defeat, Upminster are the only undefeated side in the division, and have conceded just 56 points in their four league games to date.