Ely Tigers’ modest performance away against Woodbridge.
- Credit: Archant
The Tigers travelled to their opponents with only 17 men and lost one man to injury early on. Woodbridge had a massive crowd and were up for the game, they put two past Ely in the first twenty minutes as the Tigers were slow off the mark.
Ely fought back and crossed twice themselves. The first came from a quick tap penalty from Harry Rogerson who darted through and offloaded to Jacob Muncey who took the ball down.
It was thrown wide to John Dibb who stepped through the opposition defence for a converted try.
Rogerson then got himself on the scoresheet when he picked from the back of a ruck and ran through almost unnoticed for a converted try.
At the end of the half Woodbridge crossed again in the corner after the referee consulted with the touch judge about a questionable foot-in-touch. 14-21 at the end of the half.
The second half was all about Ely, their defence held strong even when Rogerson was lost to the bin.
The Tigers then had the ball on the half way line, Matt McCarthy put man of the match Joel Scott Paul into space after a neat wrap round move. Scott Paul sprinted around the last defender and touched down in the corner, he was unable to bring the scores level after he missed the kick. Thankfully it didn’t matter as ever-present Muncey bulldozed his was to the line for a converted try.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 5 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 6 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 7 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 10 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
Final score: 26-21.