RUGBY UNION: Determined Stowmarket side hold Ely Tigers to draw
- Credit: Archant
An inspired Stowmarket comeback saw Ely Tigers held to their first draw of the season last weekend.
The Suffolk side stormed back from a 17-0 half-time deficit to draw 22-22 at Downham Road; a result the Tigers will be disappointed with given the way they dominated the game in the first half.
Man-of-the-match and debutant Jacob Muncey opened the scoring for Ely, finding space down the blindside and sprinting home for a converted try, before Joel Scott Paul added his name to the scoreboard after Mitchell Kennett impressively dummied a defender and offloaded.
Scott Paul added a penalty to give Ely a 17-0 lead at the break and they continued to dominate after the restart, with John Dibb diving over for a converted try.
But disaster soon struck for the Tigers, with a number of players going off injured – and Stowmarket took full advantage.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors ran in four unanswered tries of half an hour to level the scores – and nearly snatched the victory in the dying seconds but saw a kick drift wide of the posts.
Ely, who are fifth in London Leagues Eastern Counties Division, will hope to get back to winning ways on Friday (10) when they travel to West Norfolk.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry