RUGBY UNION: Ely Tigers make it five unbeaten with routine victory over Crusaders
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers extended their unbeaten league run to five matches thanks to a comfortable 25-8 win over Crusaders on Saturday afternoon.
Joel Scott Paul was in fine form with the boot again, slotting two early penalties to give the Tigers the lead – but it was Matt McCarthy who the Tigers had to thank for their fourth straight London Leagues success.
Ely dominated the first half and McCarthy dotted down his first of the match after a neat move.
Crusaders slotted a penalty to reduce the deficit but McCarthy added his second just before the half-time whistle.
McCarthy sealed the win and completed his hat-trick in the second half after some impressive work from John Dibb, meaning a late Crusaders was too little, too late.
You may also want to watch:
Ely, who now sit in fourth in the league standings, will hope to carry on their excellent form this Saturday – but they face the side sat at the top of the table.
The Tigers travel to Southwold, who have won all five of their matches so far.
- 1 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 5 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 6 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 7 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 8 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 9 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years