RUGBY UNION: Ely Tigers make it five unbeaten with routine victory over Crusaders
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers extended their unbeaten league run to five matches thanks to a comfortable 25-8 win over Crusaders on Saturday afternoon.
Joel Scott Paul was in fine form with the boot again, slotting two early penalties to give the Tigers the lead – but it was Matt McCarthy who the Tigers had to thank for their fourth straight London Leagues success.
Ely dominated the first half and McCarthy dotted down his first of the match after a neat move.
Crusaders slotted a penalty to reduce the deficit but McCarthy added his second just before the half-time whistle.
McCarthy sealed the win and completed his hat-trick in the second half after some impressive work from John Dibb, meaning a late Crusaders was too little, too late.
You may also want to watch:
Ely, who now sit in fourth in the league standings, will hope to carry on their excellent form this Saturday – but they face the side sat at the top of the table.
The Tigers travel to Southwold, who have won all five of their matches so far.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody