Old guard helps Tigers cruise to opening day triumph
- Credit: Steve Wells
Ely Tigers recorded a handsome victory in their London 3 Eastern Counties League opener, thanks to some help from the old guard.
The experienced Joel Scott Paul scored the opening points for Ely with a penalty against Norwich Union on Saturday, before he crossed for the game’s first try.
Scott Paul scored a second try soon after, as the visitors replied with a try of their own at Cambridge Commodities Park.
Ely’s Charlie Coupland then pounced on a poor restart to allow debutant George Newman to run home as Scott Paul scored a conversion.
Norwich did respond soon after half-time, but another penalty from Scott Paul added further daylight between the two teams.
Some missed conversions proved costly for the away side as Tigers continued to ease further away on the scoreboard.
Coupland freed Scott Paul to score a try after a kind bounce from a Jake Alsop kick, before Newman put the game beyond the visitors.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 9 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 10 Museum to mark first anniversary in ‘new Old Gaol’ this weekend
There was still time for another home try thanks to captain Matt McCarthy who crossed after being set free by Alfie Ramswell to complete the scoring.
Ely travel to Holt in a league clash on September 25, 3pm.