RUGBY UNION: Ely Tigers survive Thetford comeback to claim important victory
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers rose to fourth in the London Leagues Eastern Counties courtesy of a hard-fought win over Thetford on Saturday.
The Tigers survived a second-half onslaught from the visitors to claim a 42-31 victory at Downham Road.
Ely got off to the best possible start with a try from Jacob Muncey, before Nathan Brooks added a second as the hosts began to dominate.
Tom Elliot dotted down for a converted try soon after and John Dibb added his name to the score sheet after halting a Thetford counter attack.
Elliot soon touched down for his second before Thetford reduced the arrears with a penalty.
You may also want to watch:
That late score spurred the away side on and they went on to score four unanswered tries – but Mitchell Kennett put the game to bed after he crashed down from close range.
The Tigers go to third-placed Holt on Saturday December 9.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor