RUGBY UNION: Nathan Brooks’ double fires Ely Tigers to important win at Holt
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers moved up to third in the London Leagues Eastern Counties courtesy of a hard-fought 29-25 victory at Holt on Saturday.
The Tigers claimed an important bonus point victory in Norfolk but were made to work hard for the win, with tries coming from John Dibb, Joel Scott Paul and a Nathan Brooks brace.
The two sides traded tries in the opening 15 minutes, but Dibb and Brooks gave the visitors a 17-7 lead at half time.
Holt came out rejuvenated after the interval, scoring a converted try and slotting two penalties. But the Tigers soon got into their groove and kicked for the corner after the hosts were penalised for offside.
The Ely backs scythed through Holt’s defence and Brooks on hand to dot down for his second of the game.
You may also want to watch:
Holt reduced the deficit again but captain Scott Paul sealed the points for Ely after a quick pick and go from the back of a ruck.
Ely will look to get their fourth straight league win when they entertain Fenland rivals Wisbech on Saturday.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor