RUGBY: Ely Tigers give their best performances of the season
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers displayed one of their best performances of the season with a decisive win over Holt in their last home game.
Both teams traded scores in the first 10 minutes. The Tigers try came from a solid scrum on the opposition five metre line, Scott Macfarlane picked at eight and ran in almost untouched for a converted try.
Holt’s came afterwards, when an inside ball from the wing saw them slip through the Ely defence. The Tigers then turned it up a notch, man of the match Jacob Muncey crossed twice after he showed terrific pace, once to sprint down the wing and again to find space around the fringes of a ruck.
Joel Scott Paul got himself on the scoreboard when quick thinking from the Clark brothers saw Ash take a quick penalty to pass to brother Ryan who fed the ball to Scott Paul who ran the length of the pitch for a converted try.
Matt McCarthy crashed over soon after to bring the Tigers try tally up to five at the end of the half.
You may also want to watch:
Ely scored three more in the second half, once through Luke Cornwell after he found space down the blindside, and twice through Luke Turner who gassed down the wing and evaded would-be defenders on both occasions.
Holt added two of their own consolation tries but were unable to get a losing bonus point in the end.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Final score: 54-17.