Storm Arwen fails to stop unbeaten Ely Tigers in their tracks
- Credit: Steve Wells
Ely Tigers battled through Storm Arwen to record a third straight game unbeaten in the London 3 Eastern Counties League.
The game with Thurston on Saturday, played in rain and gusting winds, saw the hosts take a 7-0 lead thanks to an early try.
Tigers captain Matt McCarthy missed a penalty, but that did not prove crucial as Nathan Brooks dived over as McCarthy converted to level the scores.
With half-time looming, Thurston missed the chance to lead once more as they hit the post giving Tigers a chance to clear up field.
Both sides cancelled each other out after the break, but it was Tigers who made the next break-through.
Jack Yates crossed over on his first senior appearance of the season, as McCarthy added the conversion to put Ely 12-7 in front.
Thurston upped the pressure but some solid defending from Ely saw them earn an away victory in what ended as a stop-start affair.
- 1 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 2 Murder trial hears of 'appalling catalogue of injuries' suffered by baby
- 3 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 4 Relief for clinical Soham as four-month winless run is over
- 5 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 6 Hospital study shows daily capsules could help long Covid sufferers
- 7 Villagers confront the challenge of Corkers rising from the ashes
- 8 Match ball from Cambridge United's victory against Newcastle to be raffled for charity
- 9 Football club reunion bids to bring good times back to Barry
- 10 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
Ely welcome league leaders Holt to Cambridge Commodities Park on December 4, 3pm.