Storm Arwen fails to stop unbeaten Ely Tigers in their tracks
- Credit: Steve Wells
Ely Tigers battled through Storm Arwen to record a third straight game unbeaten in the London 3 Eastern Counties League.
The game with Thurston on Saturday, played in rain and gusting winds, saw the hosts take a 7-0 lead thanks to an early try.
Tigers captain Matt McCarthy missed a penalty, but that did not prove crucial as Nathan Brooks dived over as McCarthy converted to level the scores.
With half-time looming, Thurston missed the chance to lead once more as they hit the post giving Tigers a chance to clear up field.
Both sides cancelled each other out after the break, but it was Tigers who made the next break-through.
Jack Yates crossed over on his first senior appearance of the season, as McCarthy added the conversion to put Ely 12-7 in front.
Thurston upped the pressure but some solid defending from Ely saw them earn an away victory in what ended as a stop-start affair.
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Warwick Davis and daughter Annabelle cut the ribbon at special opening
- 3 Caravan site wants 10 new lodges to cope with demand
- 4 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 5 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 6 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 7 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 8 Insurers to pay for £725,000 house replacement
- 9 Retiring café owner desperate not to see shop 'back at square one'
- 10 Fenland: First they came with wind (turbines) now the sun (solar)
Ely welcome league leaders Holt to Cambridge Commodities Park on December 4, 3pm.