Ely Tigers 57-0 Ilford Wanderers: Matt McCarthy master class fires the Tigers to their biggest win of the season
- Credit: Archant
Matt McCarthy helped himself to a hat-trick as Ely Tigers strolled to their biggest win of the season last Saturday.
The Tigers eased to their third match without defeat thanks to a comprehensive 57-0 success over Ilford Wanderers.
McCarthy bagged three of Ely’s eight tries as the local outfit cemented their place in the top five of the London Leagues Three North-East.
It didn’t take the Tigers long to get going on a muddy afternoon at Downham Road, and Ricky Neale crashed home the first of the afternoon after breaking into Ilford’s twenty-two.
Luke Rogan added a second 15 minutes later off the back of a ruck, before Joel Scott Paul darted in under the posts.
You may also want to watch:
The Tigers secured their bonus point before the end of the first period thanks to McCarthy’s first try of the afternoon, and Scott Paul kicked a late penalty to cap a superb first half for the hosts.
The rout continued in the second period thanks to an early score from youngster Chris Offley, before McCarthy rounded off his treble with two more well-taken tries.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
Ely then concluded their most impressive triumph this term thanks to Nathan Brooks, who stormed through the Ilford defence to dot down.
The Tigers will look to end their festive period with another success next weekend, when they take on West Norfolk away-from-home.
They return to action on January 7 when they entertain Harlow.