Ely Teenagers Picked To Join England Korfball Trials.
ELY teenagers Oliver Watts and Anthony Brolia have been chosen to join the England Under-16 Korfball squad trials. Forty youngsters were selected to go forward for trials and 11, including the two Ely lads, were accepted. Oliver, 14, has been playing Korf
ELY teenagers Oliver Watts and Anthony Brolia have been chosen to join the England Under-16 Korfball squad trials.
Forty youngsters were selected to go forward for trials and 11, including the two Ely lads, were accepted.
Oliver, 14, has been playing Korfball for less than a year and is a member of the Ely Vikings team. His father and sister also play for Vikings. During the winter, Ollie plays rugby for Cambridgeshire.
Anthony, 13, is also a member of Ely Vikings. Both lads attend Ely Community College.
You may also want to watch:
Ollie and Anthony travelled to Croydon last weekend to take part in the second round of trials.
Anthony said: "It was really good. I think I did well and we have a good chance of getting into the squad." The trial consisted of training sessions including shooting, passing and demonstrating general fitness.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
The lads will have to wait a month to find out whether they have been selected to play in the National Youth Tournament which takes place on July 12-13.
Korfball is played in 56 countries throughout the world. If the boys are chosen for the under-16 squad they will attend training in London once a fortnight and will participate in the Youth World cup next April and friendly matches with other European countries.
Pic cap: Anthony Brolia, left, and Oliver Watts at Ely Community College last week just after they had been selected for England korfball trials and before they moved on to the second stage of the selection process held in Croydon last weekend.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE