Iona and Hannah among the successes for Ely Swimming Club as they take part in regional championship
- Credit: Archant
Eight swimmers from City of Ely Swimming Club qualified for the 2019 Swim England east region long course championships.
They will compete against the top swimmers of their age from Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire.
The championships kicked off at Luton for swimmers categorised 15 years and over.
Iona Trainer and Hannah Turner (pictured) swam strongly representing Ely.
In her first regionals, Hannah achieved a long course (50m pool) PB in 50m breaststroke.
Iona swam over all three days having qualified for 50m & 100m freestyle, 50m, 100m & 200m breaststroke, 50m backstroke and 50m, 100m & 200m butterfly.
Iona's strongest performance came in 50m breaststroke where she qualified for the regional final and won the Silver medal. Iona also gained a new long course PB in 200m Butterfly.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 8 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 9 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 10 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
Next up will be Daniel Kendall, the only club member aged 14 years and under to qualify for the Eastern Regional distance events.
Daniel swims the 800m Freestyle, again at Luton, on May 18. Daniel will join Ely's other 14 years and under regional qualifiers Tia Hill, Thomas Alderton, Amelie Hawksley, Maximilian Veiga and Georgia Holgate for the final bank holiday weekend of regional competition across May 25 to 27 at UEA's sportspark in Norwich.