Iona and Hannah among the successes for Ely Swimming Club as they take part in regional championship
- Credit: Archant
Eight swimmers from City of Ely Swimming Club qualified for the 2019 Swim England east region long course championships.
They will compete against the top swimmers of their age from Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire.
The championships kicked off at Luton for swimmers categorised 15 years and over.
Iona Trainer and Hannah Turner (pictured) swam strongly representing Ely.
In her first regionals, Hannah achieved a long course (50m pool) PB in 50m breaststroke.
You may also want to watch:
Iona swam over all three days having qualified for 50m & 100m freestyle, 50m, 100m & 200m breaststroke, 50m backstroke and 50m, 100m & 200m butterfly.
Iona's strongest performance came in 50m breaststroke where she qualified for the regional final and won the Silver medal. Iona also gained a new long course PB in 200m Butterfly.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
Next up will be Daniel Kendall, the only club member aged 14 years and under to qualify for the Eastern Regional distance events.
Daniel swims the 800m Freestyle, again at Luton, on May 18. Daniel will join Ely's other 14 years and under regional qualifiers Tia Hill, Thomas Alderton, Amelie Hawksley, Maximilian Veiga and Georgia Holgate for the final bank holiday weekend of regional competition across May 25 to 27 at UEA's sportspark in Norwich.