Ely students are leading lights in youth rugby tour
- Credit: Archant
TRIES by two Ely students secured their team’s triumph overseas against leading clubs from Italy and France.
Shelford Rugby Club’s Edward Manning and James Walton, both aged 15, travelled to Italy over the half0term break to take part in Imperia’s Under 15s international rugby tournament.
Shelford were undefeated in all their games and succeeded in winning the tournament by only conceding one try. The trophy was presented to the club by the president of the Imperia Rugby Club.
King’s Ely Senior rugby coach, Jason Billows, said: “Both James and Ed made significant contributions to rugby at King’s Ely during the Michaelmas term.
“James has led from the front with dynamism, speed of thought and skill playing at openside flanker.
“He has also captained the side with great maturity; it is rare to come across a 15-year old who is as comfortable as he is speaking in front of his peers. When James talks, the team certainly listens to his every word.
“Ed is a player with great ability and I believe we are still to see the very best of him. He has a good skill set that allows him to play in a variety of positions ranging from full back to number eight. Ed has the unique gift of attracting many defenders, enabling teammates around him to reap the rewards from the holes created.”
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 3 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 4 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
- 5 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 6 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 7 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 8 Plea to give beloved Reba 'best fighting chance'
- 9 Baby murder trial jury told birth referred to safeguarding team
- 10 Noise warning issued due to increased flying over RAF Lakenheath