Ely students are leading lights in youth rugby tour
- Credit: Archant
TRIES by two Ely students secured their team’s triumph overseas against leading clubs from Italy and France.
Shelford Rugby Club’s Edward Manning and James Walton, both aged 15, travelled to Italy over the half0term break to take part in Imperia’s Under 15s international rugby tournament.
Shelford were undefeated in all their games and succeeded in winning the tournament by only conceding one try. The trophy was presented to the club by the president of the Imperia Rugby Club.
King’s Ely Senior rugby coach, Jason Billows, said: “Both James and Ed made significant contributions to rugby at King’s Ely during the Michaelmas term.
“James has led from the front with dynamism, speed of thought and skill playing at openside flanker.
You may also want to watch:
“He has also captained the side with great maturity; it is rare to come across a 15-year old who is as comfortable as he is speaking in front of his peers. When James talks, the team certainly listens to his every word.
“Ed is a player with great ability and I believe we are still to see the very best of him. He has a good skill set that allows him to play in a variety of positions ranging from full back to number eight. Ed has the unique gift of attracting many defenders, enabling teammates around him to reap the rewards from the holes created.”
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on