Ely still in contention after double success at Herts tournament
Roller Hockey Ely’s senior side remain in contention for the league title after a battling performance at their latest tournament, in Hertfordshire.
Ely came away with two victories and a defeat from their round of Eastern Counties Division 2 matches, at the weekend.
In their first match, against hosts Letchworth, Ely went behind early on but hit back to level through Callum Thoday. James Cox then scored twice to give Ely a 3-1 lead at half-time.
Thoday scored two more to complete his hat-trick midway through and Ely ran out 5-3 victors.
Ely took on Cambridge, the league leaders, in their second game and some excellent hockey saw them establish a 3-1 lead at half-time. A well-taken goal from Nathan Ellis extended Ely’s lead and they eventually won 8-3. Goal corers were Ellis, Thoday, Cox and Tony Wilson.
You may also want to watch:
Ely’s last game was against Colchester and Ely again found themselves 3-1 up at half-time. Colchester pushed higher up the rink in the second half which unsettled Ely. There were chances at both ends but it was Colchester who found the back of the net including a well taken winner with less than two minutes to go, 4-3 the final score. Ely scorers were Hattie Ford, Thoday and Ellis.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens