Ely start new season with a volley of wins
HAVING narrowly missed promotion last year, Ely ensured they got the new season off to a flying start with a crushing win over Girton.
After starting the first set, second pairings Sylvia Hansen and Chris How were 2-0 down but soon started to settle together to win their first two sets, 6-3 6-3.
Sylvia and Chris then had an even harder task in their next two sets against Girton’s first pair, Sue and Tac. This was an even tougher match for them as Girton’s first man battling hard, seldom missing anything. However, after being 3-0 down in the first set, Sylvia and Chris held their own, fighting hard to make in 6-6. They then had to dig deep and went on to win the tie breaker to make it 7-6. This duo then went on to win the second set, 6-3.
Geoff Powell played faultless tennis to carry the first pair also to a four-set win giving Ely an 8-0 win overall.
Ely IIs meanwhile enjoyed a comfortable win over Histon 3. Ely’s first pair Honor Porter and Geoff Powell were not troubled and won four sets easily.
You may also want to watch:
Mary Finney and Chris How played well all evening losing their last set in a vey close contest but again Ely ran out winners, 7-1.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut