Ely Standard Sports Awards are launched!
The Ely Standard has launched its first-ever sports awards. Our aim is to not only recognise sporting achievement across East Cambridgeshire, but also to encourage and support our future sports men and women, who we hope may have greater ambiti
The Ely Standard has launched its first-ever sports awards. Our aim is to not only recognise sporting achievement across East Cambridgeshire, but also to encourage and support our future sports men and women, who we hope may have greater ambitions in the national arena and, in particular, the 2012 Olympics.
But local sport is not just about future Olympians; it is about the grass roots and all those people who compete in every kind of sport week in and week out in the East Cambridgeshire area. And we know there are hundreds of you, the footballers, rugby players, hockey players, roller skaters, swimmers, runners, bowlers and many, many more.
We also have awards to recognise all the people who work behind the scenes and make it possible for sports clubs to run efficiently and sometimes to function financially. We want to hear about all the green-keepers, all the mums who wash the kits and all those hard-working individuals who often turn up in all weathers and make sacrifices to ensure that sports pitches are kept in order, or programmes are printed.
In the next few weeks, we hope you will become as excited as we are at the Ely Standard at what will be a fantastic opportunity to recognise some talented and hard-working individuals from both on and off the pitch, pool and playing field.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Man found dead in March
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 10 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College