Ely salvage vital point at Rovers
RIDGEONS LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION Haverhill Rovers 2 Ely City 2 SIMON Warrren s 92nd-minute screamer rescued a point for an under-par Ely on Friday night. City took the lead against the run of play when Mark Johnston headed in the rebound after Nick Impey f
Haverhill Rovers 2 Ely City 2
SIMON Warrren's 92nd-minute screamer rescued a point for an under-par Ely on Friday night.
You may also want to watch:
City took the lead against the run of play when Mark Johnston headed in the rebound after Nick Impey forced a save in the 23rd minute and the visitors were lucky to go in 1-0 up at half-time, with the hosts hitting the crossbar, forcing two good saves from Tim Catley and dominating possession.
Ely lacked inspiration in the second half with players suffering from exhaustion and they conceded a sloppy equaliser in the 55th minute. City failed to clear their lines from a corner, and the ball was stabbed home from close range.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Haverhill were gifted the lead in the 87th minute after City conceded possession cheaply in front of their own penalty area and they responded by throwing centre-back Brady Stone up-front.
Just as City looked like they would come away with nothing Warren popped up at the edge of the area and smashed the ball into the top right corner of the net.
Ely boss Dennis Lightning said: "To be honest we were pretty awful. Some of my players play Sunday football and that would have been their fourth game in the space of a week and it really showed. But we have a knack of pulling out last-gasp results and I'm delighted to get an away point from one of the best teams in the league.