Push The Boat out at an open day to get people onto the water at Ely Sailing Club
- Credit: Archant
Ely Sailing Club is opening its doors to people who have never tried boating in a national scheme to get more people onto the water.
The club is taking part in the open day on Monday May 7 alongside six other clubs in Cambridgeshire.
Robbie Bell, Royal Yachting Association regional development officer for the East, said: “So many people still don’t realise they can go sailing or windsurfing on their doorstep, and that you don’t even need to own a boat or board as clubs and centres have ones you can borrow or hire.
“Once you’ve learned the ropes, you can sail on your own or with your partner, friends or kids in dinghies or big boats, inland or on the coast. “And after a great day on the water, nothing beats having a drink by the water on warm summer evenings.”
All kit and safety equipment is provided at the Push The Boat Out events, so just bring a pair of shoes you don’t mind getting wet and your sense of fun and adventure.
Refreshments will be available with a host of shoreside activities and entertainment to enjoy too. Venues taking part in trial sailing days in Cambridgeshire are:
Cam Sailing Club on Saturday May 12 from 12.30 to 5pm.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 5 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 8 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 9 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
Grafham Water Sailing Club on Monday May 7 from 11m to 4pm.
Hunts Sailing Club on May 7 from 11am to 4pm.
Nene Outdoors on Wednesday 9, Friday 18, Saturday 19 May fro 10am to 3.30pm.
Paxton Lakes Sailing Club on Saturday May 12 11am to 4pm.
Peterborough Sailability on Wednesday 9, Friday 11, Saturday 19 May from 11am to 3pm.