Push The Boat out at an open day to get people onto the water at Ely Sailing Club
- Credit: Archant
Ely Sailing Club is opening its doors to people who have never tried boating in a national scheme to get more people onto the water.
The club is taking part in the open day on Monday May 7 alongside six other clubs in Cambridgeshire.
Robbie Bell, Royal Yachting Association regional development officer for the East, said: “So many people still don’t realise they can go sailing or windsurfing on their doorstep, and that you don’t even need to own a boat or board as clubs and centres have ones you can borrow or hire.
“Once you’ve learned the ropes, you can sail on your own or with your partner, friends or kids in dinghies or big boats, inland or on the coast. “And after a great day on the water, nothing beats having a drink by the water on warm summer evenings.”
All kit and safety equipment is provided at the Push The Boat Out events, so just bring a pair of shoes you don’t mind getting wet and your sense of fun and adventure.
You may also want to watch:
Refreshments will be available with a host of shoreside activities and entertainment to enjoy too. Venues taking part in trial sailing days in Cambridgeshire are:
Cam Sailing Club on Saturday May 12 from 12.30 to 5pm.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
Grafham Water Sailing Club on Monday May 7 from 11m to 4pm.
Hunts Sailing Club on May 7 from 11am to 4pm.
Nene Outdoors on Wednesday 9, Friday 18, Saturday 19 May fro 10am to 3.30pm.
Paxton Lakes Sailing Club on Saturday May 12 11am to 4pm.
Peterborough Sailability on Wednesday 9, Friday 11, Saturday 19 May from 11am to 3pm.