Ely Sailing Club hosts third event in annual Cambridgeshire Youth League racing series
- Credit: Archant
Ely Sailing Club hosted the third event in the annual Cambridgeshire Youth League racing series on July 14.
Greeted by light wind conditions, eleven Ely cadets took to the water.
Competing for Ely were Kirk Stamford, Ted Pepper, Rhys Williams, Laura Campbell, Oliver Butler, David Coe, Stella Coe, Daisy Tempest, Ethan Tempest, Harriet Frost and Matthew Palmer. Overall, 25 competitors took part.
The first race saw both Kirk and Ted in their lasers have an equally good start. However, Kirk managed to overtake Ted on the first upwind leg meaning he was leading the fleet.
Shortly after, Thomas Bryant, a sailor from Cam Sailing Club, overtook both Kirk and Ted on the first downwind leg.
However, Thomas was forced to retire later in the race.
After several battles for first position between Ted and Kirk, Kirk finished in first place and Ted finished in third place. Rhys finished in ninth position in his Aero 5.
- 1 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 2 Post office and village shop moves into old Baptist chapel
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Baby murder trial jury told dad was angry at social services involvement
- 5 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 6 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 7 Aspiring photographer, 10, captures Ely's winter sunrise on camera
- 8 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
- 9 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
- 10 Sewage upgrade to continue in village with two-way traffic lights
In the second race, Ted had a fantastic start, which meant he was leading the fleet.
He maintained this position for half of the race, but he was being pursued by Kirk and Thomas.
Eventually, Kirk and Thomas got ahead. Ted finished fourth, Kirk finished third and Rhys finished ninth.
In the last race, the wind speed reduced significantly. Kirk took advantage of a small gust on the first upwind leg giving him a small lead, with Ted and Thomas missing out.
With a close battle between Thomas and Kirk, Thomas finished third and Kirk finished fourth. Ted finished fifth and Rhys finished 11th.
Overall, Terry Hacker in an Optimist from Hunts SC finished first, Kirk Stamford finished second and Thomas Bryant finished third.
For Ely Kirk finished second overall, Ted finished fifth overall winning the first under 15 trophy, and Rhys finished 11th overall.
Laura Campbell came 12th and was awarded the endeavour award for her significant improvement over the past year.
Ely Sailing Club was founded in 1946 and is based at Roswell Pits.
Visit www.elysailingclub.org or email email@example.com for more information.