Ely’s Seymour makes it a double with singles title win
- Credit: Archant
Bowls Ely’s Sarah Seymour scooped a superb double at the English Indoor Bowls Championships this week by adding the singles title to her pairs triumph.
Sarah, who won the pairs title with her City of Ely and England team-mate Ellen Falkner last week, achieved a remarkable double when she added the singles title, and regained the title she first won in 2008.
She beat Blackpool New Hall star Janice Gower, 21-10, in the final.
Seymour, who skips a rink for England, said: “It’s obviously great to have won it again, but I was particularly pleased this year that I defeated four England skips on the way to the title – Ellen in the group, and Wendy King, Penny Strong and Janice in my last three games.
Winner of the WIBC women’s world indoor singles title in 2008, Seymour, who does not play outdoors, is the most prolific title winner in English women’s bowls, being the only player to have won all seven national titles – singles, pairs, triples, fours, Champion of Champion singles, mixed pairs and mixed fours.
You may also want to watch:
Lucy Smith, a talented teenager from Swindon’s Westlecot club, caught the eye when she reached the semi-finals, where she lost to Gower, 21-11, while Strong, from Lincoln, lost to Seymour by the same score in the other semi-final.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on