Ely's Season Finishes With Thriller
ELY City s season finished on a disappointing note as they narrowly lost out 4-3 in a thrilling match at Needham Market. In a tussle that ebbed and flowed throughout, Ely battled admirably but found themselves undone in the last 15 minutes when two quick
ELY City's season finished on a disappointing note as they narrowly lost out 4-3 in a thrilling match at Needham Market.
In a tussle that ebbed and flowed throughout, Ely battled admirably but found themselves undone in the last 15 minutes when two quick goals finally break their hearty resistance.
Boss Trevor Munns, said: "The lads played really well and I think deserved something from the game bearing in mind that we were still without a number of important players."
A sluggish start saw the visitors go a goal down early on as Craig Parker smashed home. Roused by the setback, Ely poured forward and Andy Pettit, in the unfamiliar role of centre-midfielder, had one of his best games of the season, hauling Ely into an unlikely lead with two show-stopping volleys from in excess of 25 yards.
You may also want to watch:
Moments short of the break Market levelled again as Danny Phillips struck home but Ely continued to impress and regained their lead not long after play resumed as Richard Chadwick capped what has been a strong season for him with a well taken goal.
With less than a quarter of the game to go Ely looked a good bet for the win but they were pegged back by Tommy Smith who drew the home side level. With minutes to go Needham struck again and took all three points as Danny Smy netted.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 10 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
The loss, Ely's fourth in five games, sees them finish their debut season in the Ridgeons Premier in 14th place, nine points clear of the two sides to go down, Harwich and Haverhill.