Ely’s Nick Brett becomes top-tanked player after open win
- Credit: Archant
Bowls It was double joy for City of Ely bowler Nick Brett this week as he claimed the International Open title and was crowned world number one to boot.
Brett beat Alex Marshall 12-4, 9-8, to claim the Co-operative Funeralcare Open title at Newton Hall, in Blackpool, on Friday, and accrued enough ranking points to move ahead of Paul Foster, making him the world indoor number one.
Brett said: “It is all but just a dream and I am so lost for words I just cannot speak.”
The final between Marshall and Brett saw the latter hit top form from the outset, taking the first set 12-4 in dominant fashion.
Marshall regrouped in the second and made Brett fight for each bowl through to the fourth end, where it was all squared at 3-3.
You may also want to watch:
In ends five and six, Brett took a single and a double to go three up, but Marshall stormed right back to take two doubles in ends seven and eight to go 7-6 up.
Brett stole a single in the ninth and a double in end 10 to move ahead once more and survived a late scare from Marshall to claim the win.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident