Ely’s FA Vase clash only 50:50 to go ahead, according to boss
- Credit: Archant
ELY City boss Alan Alsop believes there is only a 50:50 chance the Robins’ FA Vase clash with Spalding United will go ahead this weekend, despite a recommendation that the match be moved to Sunday.
The playing surface at the Unwin Ground remains under three inches of snow and will require moving late on Friday night and into Saturday morning if there is any chance that the match can go ahead.
Alsop said: “The pitch is still covered in snow at the moment to protect it but with the frost it is going to make it difficult.
“Cambridge United’s groundsmen tried to clear their pitch earlier in the week and they had to move 600 tonnes so that is the sort of task that is facing us, I’d say it is about 50:50 at the moment.”
Club officials will carry out a pitch inspection on Friday night and again on Saturday morning before a decision is made and an appeal for volunteers to help clear the snow has already been made.
You may also want to watch:
A statement on the club’s website read: “Bring anything you can to help - shovels, brooms, rakes, ladles or improvisations. We are not starting until Friday as it is necessary to keep the snow in place to insulate the pitch from frost.
“If you cannot get to the club until after work we will be carrying on under floodlights.”
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
The Robins have suffered a glut of postponed fixtures since December and are facing the prospect of two games a week for much of the remainder of the season in order to clear the backlog.
See www.pitchero.com/clubs/elycity/ for more information about helping to clear the snow.