Ely’s Anna heading down under for rugby world cup
- Credit: Archant
Rugby Former Ely College student Anna Goddard has been selected to represent England at the touch rugby world cup in Australia, which starts later this month.
The 17-year-old, who studies at Hartpury College, in Gloucester, leaves for Australia on Saturday and is the youngest member of the 16-strong elite women’s squad.
She said: “I am really excited about being given the opportunity to play for England at a world cup in a country passionate about the game. Training with the squad over the past six months has developed my game no end and I am a much more confident, and hopefully better, player. I’m relishing the challenge of competing against the best in the world.”
The world cup is being played in Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, from April 29 to May 3. Goodard is studying for AS exams and within two days of her return has to sit her chemistry and biology exams and her first environmental studies exam.
Goddard, who started playing touch rugby four years ago, in Cambridge, was in the England under-18s at the European touch tournament in Swansea last year, where they finished runners-up to Wales.
You may also want to watch:
The former Ely College pupil started playing rugby at Ely Tigers aged six, before switching to Newmarket, aged 12, to join their girls’ team.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody