ELY RUNNERS ROUND UP
THE popular and demanding Wibbly Wobbly Log Jog took place at Brandon Forest on Friday. Five Ely Runners were among the 298 finishers. The undulating cross-country course of uneven and twisting forest tracks was 4.78 miles, a similar distance to last ye
THE popular and demanding Wibbly Wobbly Log Jog took place at Brandon Forest on Friday. Five Ely Runners were among the 298 finishers.
The undulating cross-country course of uneven and twisting forest tracks was 4.78 miles, a similar distance to last year, but times were slower as it was a more challenging course this time round.
Conditions were good, being mild and without wind.
Official Results: 12. John Crisp 30:10 venue best position; 23. Stephen Tovey 31:59; 37. Simon Jackson 33.10 venue PB and best position; 69. John Turner 36:00 1st MV60; 183. Julie Foreman 44:44 venue PB and best position.
# There were three Ely Runners among the 64 finishers in the EVAC 5k Championships held at Cambridge/Grantchester on Sunday.
The runners were competing over a fast 5k loop from Cambridge and back via Grantchester. Conditions were very hot and sunny with a light wind.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 4 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 8 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 10 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
Official results: 6. Alfredo Verna 18:07, 4th MV40 (WAVA 76.57 per cent); 8. Stephen Howard 18:16, 5th MV40 (WAVA 74.57 per cent); 27. Maurice Reed 20:32, 9th MV40 (WAVA 67.07 per cent).
Also on Sunday, two Ely Runners were well up among the 513 finishers in the Harlow 10 Miles Road Race, competing on a fast undulating course of urban cycleways, roads and park land. Even though the race started at 9.30am conditions were very hot.
Official results: 15. Ian Day 1:01:43, 37. Glyn Loveday 1:05:24.
# Stephen Howard came third in male veterans 40-and-over category in the recent Evac 10k Championships at Comberton last month. He was ninth overall.