Ely Runners Out In Force For Hereward Relay
MORE than 400 runners jogged, trudged and sprinted their way through the Fens in treacherous conditions last week at the 13th annual Hereward Relay. A total of 115 teams made up of four runners battled through strong winds and heavy mud to complete the 38
MORE than 400 runners jogged, trudged and sprinted their way through the Fens in treacherous conditions last week at the 13th annual Hereward Relay.
A total of 115 teams made up of four runners battled through strong winds and heavy mud to complete the 38-mile, four-stage race from Peterborough Cathedral to Ely City Football Club.
Competitors came from across the region and St Edmunds Pacers A took the overall victory in an impressive 3:47:23.
Seven crack teams from the Ely Runners meanwhile, secured some impressive finishes with the Ely Cheetah's leading the club home in fifth place (4:02:22). Ely Tigers were seventh in 4:11:34, Ely Leopards were 11th in 4:24:53, Ely Panthers were 31st in 4:44:23, Ely Lions were 41st in 4:49:10, Ely Puma's were 78th in 5:22:55 and Ely Cougars were 87th in 5:31:12
You may also want to watch:
Amoungst his duties, club coach Alan Rutterford, not only had to see off four stages of runners at various times of the morning, but he was also tasked with marking out the course from Little Downham to the finish at Ely City Football Club.
Club members Tony Hall, Natalie Etches, Stuart Baumber, Adrian Stokes and John Glover also helped to organise and run the event.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely