Ely rowing students bring home silver medal at Oxfordshire competition
- Credit: Archant
Rowing students from Ely brought home the silver medal at this year’s Blenheim Palace Junior Regatta race in Oxfordshire.
A total of 32 King’s Ely Year 8 and 9 rowers competed in the multi-lane regatta on Saturday (June 9), racing over 500m from a standing start.
The event is tailored for students from Year 6 to 9 and rowers from all across the country can compete.
A spokesman said: “All but four of King’s Ely’s crews made the finals on the day, with all pupils showing true grit and determination in some very hard fought races.
“The stand out performance was that of the Girls’ Under 14 Coxed Four crew, who won their heat and then placed second, taking home the Silver medal in a very exciting final.
You may also want to watch:
“The crew was Clare Sergeant, Mia Gray, Georgina Schosland, Stephanie Watson and Otilia Salgado.”
The success comes just a week after students competed in the three-day National Schools Regatta.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 6 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Mayor's ‘hop-on hop-off' public travel revolution
- 10 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
The spokesman added: “King’s Ely rowers also enjoyed success at the Peterborough Spring Regatta earlier this month.
“Highlights included Conall Comley and William Buckingham winning the Under 14 2x race, Holly Lancaster and Rahera Greatrex winning the Under 18 2x race, and Alex Millard helping a King’s Ely and Peterborough composite Under 18 4x coxless crew winning their race.”