Ely rowing students bring home silver medal at Oxfordshire competition
- Credit: Archant
Rowing students from Ely brought home the silver medal at this year’s Blenheim Palace Junior Regatta race in Oxfordshire.
A total of 32 King’s Ely Year 8 and 9 rowers competed in the multi-lane regatta on Saturday (June 9), racing over 500m from a standing start.
The event is tailored for students from Year 6 to 9 and rowers from all across the country can compete.
A spokesman said: “All but four of King’s Ely’s crews made the finals on the day, with all pupils showing true grit and determination in some very hard fought races.
“The stand out performance was that of the Girls’ Under 14 Coxed Four crew, who won their heat and then placed second, taking home the Silver medal in a very exciting final.
You may also want to watch:
“The crew was Clare Sergeant, Mia Gray, Georgina Schosland, Stephanie Watson and Otilia Salgado.”
The success comes just a week after students competed in the three-day National Schools Regatta.
- 1 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Number of fatal injuries caused on our roads ‘remains far too high’
- 5 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 6 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 9 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 10 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
The spokesman added: “King’s Ely rowers also enjoyed success at the Peterborough Spring Regatta earlier this month.
“Highlights included Conall Comley and William Buckingham winning the Under 14 2x race, Holly Lancaster and Rahera Greatrex winning the Under 18 2x race, and Alex Millard helping a King’s Ely and Peterborough composite Under 18 4x coxless crew winning their race.”