Ely rowing students bring home silver medal at Oxfordshire competition
- Credit: Archant
Rowing students from Ely brought home the silver medal at this year’s Blenheim Palace Junior Regatta race in Oxfordshire.
A total of 32 King’s Ely Year 8 and 9 rowers competed in the multi-lane regatta on Saturday (June 9), racing over 500m from a standing start.
The event is tailored for students from Year 6 to 9 and rowers from all across the country can compete.
A spokesman said: “All but four of King’s Ely’s crews made the finals on the day, with all pupils showing true grit and determination in some very hard fought races.
“The stand out performance was that of the Girls’ Under 14 Coxed Four crew, who won their heat and then placed second, taking home the Silver medal in a very exciting final.
“The crew was Clare Sergeant, Mia Gray, Georgina Schosland, Stephanie Watson and Otilia Salgado.”
The success comes just a week after students competed in the three-day National Schools Regatta.
- 1 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 2 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 3 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 4 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 7 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 8 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Development plans submitted for next phase of Cambridge North
The spokesman added: “King’s Ely rowers also enjoyed success at the Peterborough Spring Regatta earlier this month.
“Highlights included Conall Comley and William Buckingham winning the Under 14 2x race, Holly Lancaster and Rahera Greatrex winning the Under 18 2x race, and Alex Millard helping a King’s Ely and Peterborough composite Under 18 4x coxless crew winning their race.”