Ely Rowers Impress In Norwich
A CREW from the Isle of Ely Rowing Club are anticipating selection for the Eastern Region squad this week after establishing themselves as the top crew in the county. The girls emphatic win over nearest rivals at Norwich Head last weekend means that th
A CREW from the Isle of Ely Rowing Club are anticipating selection for the Eastern Region squad this week after establishing themselves as the top crew in the county.
The girls' emphatic win over nearest rivals at Norwich Head last weekend means that they are almost certain to be chosen to represent the East of England when selectors make their final decision, expected this week.
The Women's Junior 14 quad raced as a composite crew representing King's School Ely and the Isle of Ely Rowing Club. Laura Sibson and Phoebe Bradbury, who sit in the middle of the boat in the two and three seats, along with cox Ellen Bridges, all attend the King's School, Ely. Nell Freeman (bow) and Libby Milne (stroke) attend Soham Village College. All five girls are members of the Isle of Ely Rowing Club.
The timed race at Norwich last Saturday was nominated as the Eastern Region rowing trials for those crews competing for a place to represent the East of England. By winning their event, the Ely girls are now officially recorded as the top performing crew in their category.
You may also want to watch:
The junior 14 girls' quad has been performing well recently in local events and was widely tipped to catch the eye of the selectors but they needed to win the race at Norwich to secure their place. The girls completed the 2,000m course in a time of 9mins and 49 secs, racing upstream against the tidal waters of the River Yare. They completed the course a full 46 seconds ahead of the second placed crew from Norwich.
The girls' quad is now due to race for the East of England at the inter-regional finals at Nottingham at the end of April.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 8 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station