Ely roller hockey star Malak hoping to make her mark for England
- Credit: Archant
A schoolgirl from Ely is to represent England in a major international roller hockey tournament in Portugal.
Malak Nasir, 11, has been selected by the National Roller Hockey Association of England to represent her country in a regional tournament being held in Lisbon in February.
Malak will take part in a variety of training sessions, as well as compete against teams from Portugal - one of the top countries in the world for roller hockey.
The trip, which is scheduled to take place from February 3 to February 6, is part of the National Roller Hockey Association of England’s Youth Ladies Development Programme, which aims to develop teams to represent England in the prestigious European Under 17 Championships in the future, and ultimately win a medal.
Malak, who lives in Ely, has been playing the sport ever since she joined Ely Roller Hockey Club at the age of five.
You may also want to watch:
Last year, she won the club’s Under 11 Player of the Year trophy and in December she captained the Under 13 squad.
Carlos Amaral, England coaching director for the National Roller Hockey Association of England, said: “Malak has been training hard with the development squad for the last few years and has shown potential to be one of the best players in England.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
“If she continues with her dedication and commitment, she will give herself the best opportunity for selection to the final squad, which will represent England in the European Under 17 Championships.”