Ely Roller Hockey Club wins Team of the Year prize at 2012 Ely Standard Sports Awards
ELY Roller Hockey Club was crowned Team of the Year after winning eight trophies at different groups.
In a sport where there are no ladies leagues, the club is particularly proud of the number of girl members it has.
The success has gone wider than the club with Ely having two girls in the England Senior Ladies squad to compete in Brazil in November and four of the eight outfielders in the England under-17s girls squad.
The trophy was presented by Councillor Tony Parramint, chairman of East Cambs District Council.
The judges said: “It is excellent to have a sport club which caters for the broad and diverse community.
“It is fantastic to see an innovative sport club developing within the district which is a alternative to traditional sports. They provide a range of coaching sessions for young people of all ages in two different locations of Ely and Soham and provide coaching qualifications for members of the club, to encourage them to become a coach.
“They have won eight trophies throughout the session within different age groups and the international competitions which the sport club have entered demonstrates their success.”
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
Ely City Hockey Club – crowned champions of the Eastern Hockey League Division 2N, it has been a impressive year for the club and, in particular, the men’s first team.
Ely Tigers Rugby Club - The under-11s have gone from strength to strength. They are a lovely bunch of sociable, polite, enthusiastic children, who have played rugby outstandingly. Even when their heads go down, they all pull together and win.