Ely Racer Secures Second Successive Motorsport Title
MOTORSPORT Ely-based racer Philip Broad secured his second successive Caterham racing championship title at Donington Park on Sunday, where he was crowned Motorsport News Caterham Roadsport Challenge Champion.The Roadsport title follows on from the Cater
Ely-based racer Philip Broad secured his second successive Caterham racing championship title at Donington Park on Sunday, where he was crowned Motorsport News Caterham Roadsport Challenge Champion.
The Roadsport title follows on from the Caterham Academy crown that 23-year-old Broad won in 2007, his maiden season of competition.
Philip - who is backed by KB Wilde Consulting and AIA Mechanical Services - has piloted his Caterham Roadsport to five race wins already this season, although race victory eluded him at Donington at the weekend.
He placed second in Saturday's race and was second again yesterday, ample to secure the crown. Broad said afterwards: "It's a great feeling to have won the championship with two races in hand. I thought it would go down to the final meeting at Brands Hatch in October. My team have done a great job for me."
The Donington Roadsport races were won by James Sharrock and Lewis Hopkins, with Broad less than a second behind in each.
- 1 Petition launched to save village pub
- 2 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 3 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 4 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Murder trial jury told mother said she could not have children
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 9 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
Backers for Caterham Motorsport's UK and European race series include Bilstein, Brian James Trailers, Cooper-Avon Tyres, The Daily Telegraph, Demon Tweeks, evo, HSBC, insuremotorsport.com, Motorsport News, Quaife and Stack.
14 laps / 35.00 miles
1 James Sharrock 30m 06.699s
2 Philip Broad +0.585s
3 Toby Dicker +0.735s
4 Roelant de Waard +2.084s
5 Sean Nash +3.077s
6 Lewis Hopkins +3.276s
Fastest lap Hopkins
1m 52.992s / 79.65 mph Est Rec
9 laps / 22.50 miles
1 Lewis Hopkins 21m 03.347s
2 Philip Broad +0.786s
3 James Sharrock +1.794s
4 Toby Dicker +2.808s
5 Graham Johnson +3.518s
6 Julien Draper +4.264s
Fastest lap Broad
2m 08.342s / 70.12mph
1 Broad 204; 2 Sharrock 163; 3 Hopkins 148;
4 Jon Walker 139; 5 JJ O'Malley 129; 6 Johnson 124 etc
Pic cap: Philip Broad after his Donington championship victory on Sunday.