Ely pair in star-showing for England side
- Credit: Archant
Ely College pair Kellie James and Anna Goddard starred in the European Touch Rugby Championships representing England.
Kellie, a PE teacher, was part of the women’s open team which clinched the championship with a win over Wales in the final while Anna, a Year 11 pupil, featured in the under 18 team which finished runners-up.
The tournament was held in Swansea and featured more than 50 teams from 16 nations.
As well as managing seven ‘touch-downs’ during the tournament, Kellie was also assistant coach for the women’s open side, which sailed through the group stages before beating Scotland in the semi-final and Wales, 6-3, in the final.
Sixteen-year-old Anna meanwhile, celebrated earning a place at Hartpury College, in Gloucestershire, by scoring four ‘touch-downs’ and helping her side to a second-place finish behind Wales in the under 18s.
Anna is an aspiring rugby union player and will complete the Rugby Football Union’s advanced apprenticeship programme at Hartpury College next year.
- 1 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Missing woman back home
- 4 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 10 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’