Ely pair in star-showing for England side
- Credit: Archant
Ely College pair Kellie James and Anna Goddard starred in the European Touch Rugby Championships representing England.
Kellie, a PE teacher, was part of the women’s open team which clinched the championship with a win over Wales in the final while Anna, a Year 11 pupil, featured in the under 18 team which finished runners-up.
The tournament was held in Swansea and featured more than 50 teams from 16 nations.
As well as managing seven ‘touch-downs’ during the tournament, Kellie was also assistant coach for the women’s open side, which sailed through the group stages before beating Scotland in the semi-final and Wales, 6-3, in the final.
Sixteen-year-old Anna meanwhile, celebrated earning a place at Hartpury College, in Gloucestershire, by scoring four ‘touch-downs’ and helping her side to a second-place finish behind Wales in the under 18s.
You may also want to watch:
Anna is an aspiring rugby union player and will complete the Rugby Football Union’s advanced apprenticeship programme at Hartpury College next year.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'