Ely narrowly beaten by Haverhill
Under-14 Ely City 1 Haverhill 2 ELY were narrowly beaten in this tense encounter. City gained the initiative when confusion between a defender and keeper allowed them to slip the ball home from close range. Jamie McCarthy almost doubled Ely s lead, but h
Ely City 1 Haverhill 2
ELY were narrowly beaten in this tense encounter.
City gained the initiative when confusion between a defender and keeper allowed them to slip the ball home from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Jamie McCarthy almost doubled Ely's lead, but hit the side netting after good play from Will Law, while at the other end keeper Ryan Collins commanded his box well to keep Haverhill at bay.
Haverhill equalised before the break when a cross took a fortuitous bounce and their striker prodded home.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 8 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
The second half was tense as both teams had chances, Ryan Howell coming closest for City with a screamer of a free-kick that hit the underside of the bar.
Haverhill's winner came from a penalty kick, which Collins got fingertips to, but couldn't keep out.
Man of the match: Will Law.