Ely move into next round with dominant win over Welford
- Credit: Archant
Bowls City of Ely progressed into the last 16 of The Denny Cup on Saturday with a 96-55 win over Welford-on-Avon.
Ely’s men controlled the match from the early stages after a slow start that saw them trailing 20-15 after five ends. Greg Harlow’s rink was down by five shots at home and Nick Brett all square at the same stage.
On the away rinks, Andrew Easy had made a steady start - holding a slim two-shot lead - with Andrew Ware, deputising at skip for the absent Stuart Popple, four shots down.
The recovery was well under way by the conclusion of 10 ends, with Ely holding a 20 shot advantage, 45-25. Harlow had turned his deficit into a four-shot lead and Brett led by nine.
Easy continued his good start to lead by 11 and Ware, fighting hard to stay in touch was down by four. Although Welford had cut the lead to 12 shots after 15 ends, Ely played some very positive bowls to extend their advantage to 39 shots after18 ends. Easy, ably assisted by Graham Marsh, Ian McWhinney and Michael Jackman, was in dominant form and had built an unassailable 23-8 lead. Ware had pegged his opposite number back to trail by a single. Brett, with Ben Akroyd, Dale Spring and Matt Marsden was leading 24-13 and Harlow with Rob Elmore at lead, Josh Easy at two and Ed Elmore at three, led 28-14.
You may also want to watch:
The outcome of the match was not in doubt at this point and shortly after Welford conceded the tie. Ely’s opponents in the next round to be played on January 18 will be Ipswich and District who overcame Norfolk IBC, 70-64.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'