Ely Make It Through To Finals
THE Ely Under 11 Roller Hockey team made it through to final of the Eastern Counties Cup after coming through a tense three-way semi-final. Despite losing to Cambridge in the first game of the series Ely rallied and beat King s Lynn soon after to book the
THE Ely Under 11 Roller Hockey team made it through to final of the Eastern Counties Cup after coming through a tense three-way semi-final.
Despite losing to Cambridge in the first game of the series Ely rallied and beat King's Lynn soon after to book their place in the June final.
The withdrawal of the Norwich team meant that the remaining three teams, Ely, Cambridge and King's Lynn, were forced to play a round-robin format with two places in the final up for grabs.
Ely's first match was against Cambridge and things started brightly as an early goal put them on top. It wasn't long though, before Cambridge equalised and having got back on terms they then pulled ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Matters were made worse for Ely when a penalty was awarded against them and they fell yet further behind. The second half saw another goal for Ely, but it wasn't enough to spark a comeback and the game finished 5-2 to Cambridge.
Ely's next game was against King's Lynn and, needing a win to stay in the tournament, they set about their task with gusto, eventually winning the game in relative comfort, 5-1.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
The win was enough to put Ely through to the final, as King's Lynn had also lost to Cambridge, and they will now come up against Cambridge once more in a straight up battle for the cup.
Ely have 7 teams competing. For details on how to get involved with Roller Hockey see website at www.elyrhc.co.uk.