Ely Ladies Remain On Course For Cup Success
Ely Ladies progressed to the next round of the Cup after cantering past Cambridge University 7-1. Ely started the game strongly with both the forward and midfield players passing the ball well. Dani Fletcher, Pamela Clarke and Chanre Bond collectively ap
Ely Ladies progressed to the next round of the Cup after cantering past Cambridge University 7-1.
Ely started the game strongly with both the forward and midfield players passing the ball well. Dani Fletcher, Pamela Clarke and Chanre Bond collectively applied pressure to the Cambridge University defence in an attempt to break the deadlock. Ely were soon rewarded when top goal scorer Chanre Bond added to her tally for the season with a hard-hit strike. A second goal soon followed with Gemma Voutt beating the goalkeeper with a strike from a tight angle.
Cambridge University were not without chances however, and only assured defending from Ely kept several penalty corners from gifting Cambridge a way back into the tie.
Having kept the visitors out at one end, the Ely attack were given a solid platform from which to launch some attacks of their own and Dani Fletcher, Gemma Voutt and Chanre Bond all netted before the half-time whistle blew.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw a more competitive Cambridge University return to the pitch. The home side's pressure told on a number of occasions again placing the Ely defence under scrutiny. But further resilient play from Ely good saw them score two more goals on the break both from Chanre Bond.
Close to the end of the game Cambridge University were awarded penalty corner which saw them gain a consolation goal but the game finished 7-1, cementing Ely's place at the top of the Cambridgeshire Premier Division Cup.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment