Ely Ladies beat Newmarket
HOCKEY Ely Ladies I 3 Newmarket I 1 ELY Ladies 1 were in celebratory mood on Sunday afternoon after winning the Premier Division League Cup Final. Ely met Newmarket at the Kings School Pitch, Ely, and with their desire to win evident from the outset they
Ely Ladies I 3 Newmarket I 1
ELY Ladies 1 were in celebratory mood on Sunday afternoon after winning the Premier Division League Cup Final.
Ely met Newmarket at the Kings School Pitch, Ely, and with their desire to win evident from the outset they started in impressive fashion.
You may also want to watch:
The midfielders enjoyed early possession and moved the ball effectively up the right flank through Fiona Bartley, Emily Kisby and Gemma Voutt, and within minutes, Ely capitalised on their play to take 1-0 lead through Chanre Bond.
This success only served to increase Ely's determination and Bond soon added a second goal after battling her way past the opposition defence.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
Newmarket tried to curtail Ely's attacking movement and generate counter-attacking play of their own, but were repeatedly closed down by the Ely defence.
Hannah Scotney, Cathy Gilmour, Holly Radcliffe and Fiona Bartley withstood Newmarket's pressure, but they did eventually concede a goal shortly before half-time.
The second half saw Newmarket return to the pitch with an increased energy and much more fight, but Ely worked superbly as a team and supported each other both in play and though encouragement right to the final whistle and the defence - commanded by Scotney - was outstanding throughout.
Ely Ladies continued to seek out the win with their forward attacking play, and extended their lead once more as Bond netted her hat trick. This secured a 3-1 win for Ely and a fitting, well-deserved result to see out Pamela Clarke's reign as Ladies I Captain.
Players of the Match: Hannah Scotney and Chanre Bond.
Ely: Laura Tuck (GK), Cathy Gilmour, Holly Radcliffe, Hannah Scotney, Fiona Bartley, Heather Cooper, Emily Kisby, Ali Chapman, Chanre Bond, Pamela Clarke (captain), Gemma Voutt, Dani Fletcher, Jo Rayner, Anne-Marie Lye.