Ely Ladies beat Newmarket
HOCKEY Ely Ladies I 3 Newmarket I 1 ELY Ladies 1 were in celebratory mood on Sunday afternoon after winning the Premier Division League Cup Final. Ely met Newmarket at the Kings School Pitch, Ely, and with their desire to win evident from the outset they
Ely Ladies I 3 Newmarket I 1
ELY Ladies 1 were in celebratory mood on Sunday afternoon after winning the Premier Division League Cup Final.
Ely met Newmarket at the Kings School Pitch, Ely, and with their desire to win evident from the outset they started in impressive fashion.
The midfielders enjoyed early possession and moved the ball effectively up the right flank through Fiona Bartley, Emily Kisby and Gemma Voutt, and within minutes, Ely capitalised on their play to take 1-0 lead through Chanre Bond.
This success only served to increase Ely's determination and Bond soon added a second goal after battling her way past the opposition defence.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 4 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 5 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 6 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 7 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 8 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 9 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 10 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
Newmarket tried to curtail Ely's attacking movement and generate counter-attacking play of their own, but were repeatedly closed down by the Ely defence.
Hannah Scotney, Cathy Gilmour, Holly Radcliffe and Fiona Bartley withstood Newmarket's pressure, but they did eventually concede a goal shortly before half-time.
The second half saw Newmarket return to the pitch with an increased energy and much more fight, but Ely worked superbly as a team and supported each other both in play and though encouragement right to the final whistle and the defence - commanded by Scotney - was outstanding throughout.
Ely Ladies continued to seek out the win with their forward attacking play, and extended their lead once more as Bond netted her hat trick. This secured a 3-1 win for Ely and a fitting, well-deserved result to see out Pamela Clarke's reign as Ladies I Captain.
Players of the Match: Hannah Scotney and Chanre Bond.
Ely: Laura Tuck (GK), Cathy Gilmour, Holly Radcliffe, Hannah Scotney, Fiona Bartley, Heather Cooper, Emily Kisby, Ali Chapman, Chanre Bond, Pamela Clarke (captain), Gemma Voutt, Dani Fletcher, Jo Rayner, Anne-Marie Lye.