Ely student ‘jubilant’ after she’s chosen to represent England Reds hockey team at 2018 School Games in Leicestershire
- Credit: Archant
An Ely student has been chosen to represent the England Reds under 17s hockey team at the 2018 School Games held in Leicestershire.
Rebecca Daniel, a Sixth Form student at King’s Ely, says she is “jubilant” after being selected to take part in the event supported by National Lottery funding.
The event, delivered by the Youth Sport Trust, is a major multi-sport event for the most talented young athletes from across the UK.
Rebecca, who lives with her family near Newmarket, has been at King’s Ely since joining in Year 5. She will be competing against England White, England Blue, Wales, Ulster and Scotland.
Between August 30 and September 2, more than 1,400 young sportsmen and women will compete across 11 sports at Loughborough University, including Athletics, Cricket, Cycling, Canoeing, Netball, Rowing and more.
You may also want to watch:
Jim Thompson, director of sport at King’s Ely, said: “I am delighted that Rebecca has been selected to represent the England Reds at the School Games.
Rebecca has put in a huge amount of hard work to be selected and I am sure she will enjoy the challenge of playing at a national level.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 6 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 10 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
Last year, Rebecca was selected to play for the Under 16’s England Hockey team, and then contributed to their victories.