Ely hockey club raise £1,700 at annual tournament
- Credit: Archant
An Ely hockey club raised over £1,700 at their annual tournament for their replacement pitch fund.
Ely City Hockey Club held their annual event last weekend with 14 teams from across the region heading to the Ely Outdoor Sports Association (EOSA) complex on Downham Rd on Friday (May 18) for a weekend of hockey.
The total amount raised was £1,767 – overall winners were ‘Team Exclusive’, they beat ‘Marham’ in the final.
The Plate was keenly contested with the Beach Bums beating the Disney All Stars.
Gemma Neal, organiser, said: “It was another fantastic weekend and we all had so much fun.
You may also want to watch:
“The weather was perfect. Everyone from Ely pitched in and helped with the BBQ, serving the food and tidying up.
“All the teams helped with umpiring but a big thank you must go to Ian Grange, Tim Cooper and Simon Wilmot who all gave up their Saturday to umpire for us.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
Staff at Ely College made their astro turf pitch available with a tractor and trailer ferrying players between the two pitches.
Matches were played throughout the weekend on both the college and EOSA astro pitches.