Ely hockey club raise £1,700 at annual tournament
- Credit: Archant
An Ely hockey club raised over £1,700 at their annual tournament for their replacement pitch fund.
Ely City Hockey Club held their annual event last weekend with 14 teams from across the region heading to the Ely Outdoor Sports Association (EOSA) complex on Downham Rd on Friday (May 18) for a weekend of hockey.
The total amount raised was £1,767 – overall winners were ‘Team Exclusive’, they beat ‘Marham’ in the final.
The Plate was keenly contested with the Beach Bums beating the Disney All Stars.
Gemma Neal, organiser, said: “It was another fantastic weekend and we all had so much fun.
“The weather was perfect. Everyone from Ely pitched in and helped with the BBQ, serving the food and tidying up.
“All the teams helped with umpiring but a big thank you must go to Ian Grange, Tim Cooper and Simon Wilmot who all gave up their Saturday to umpire for us.”
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
Staff at Ely College made their astro turf pitch available with a tractor and trailer ferrying players between the two pitches.
Matches were played throughout the weekend on both the college and EOSA astro pitches.