Ely forced to settle for share of spoils
A lively start from the visitors quickly had Ely on the back foot, with breakaway attacks wrecking havoc. It was just such an attack that brought the opening goal as Cambridge moved the ball superbly from deep, affording their front men time enough to tap home.
Ely City II 4
Cambridge City 4
ELY were forced to settle for a share of the spoils after a late comeback from Cambridge City.
The home side were two-goals clear heading into the final 10 minutes only for a late charge to deny them all three points.
The draw keeps Ely firmly in mid-table of Division 3NW.
A lively start from the visitors quickly had Ely on the back foot, with breakaway attacks wrecking havoc.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 8 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 9 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 10 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
It was just such an attack that brought the opening goal as Cambridge moved the ball superbly from deep, affording their front men time enough to tap home.
A pair of penalty corners handed City the ideal opportunity to extend their lead but both efforts were wasted as Ely fought back.
Having ridden the initial wave of attacks, Ely drew level after 12 minutes as a penalty corner was stroked home.
The home side kicked on in the aftermath of their equaliser and moved 2-1 ahead going in at half-time as a superb attacking move from wide was tucked in at the near post.
Cambridge came out with renewed purpose in the second half and needed just five minutes to draw level.
Ely shrugged off the setback though, and moved 4-2ahead in the next 15 minutes with some eye-catching attacking play.
With a comfortable cushion established however, Ely took their foot off the gas and Cambridge capitalised, firing two goals in the final period to snatch a draw.