Ely forced to settle for share of spoils
A lively start from the visitors quickly had Ely on the back foot, with breakaway attacks wrecking havoc. It was just such an attack that brought the opening goal as Cambridge moved the ball superbly from deep, affording their front men time enough to tap home.
Ely City II 4
Cambridge City 4
ELY were forced to settle for a share of the spoils after a late comeback from Cambridge City.
The home side were two-goals clear heading into the final 10 minutes only for a late charge to deny them all three points.
You may also want to watch:
The draw keeps Ely firmly in mid-table of Division 3NW.
A lively start from the visitors quickly had Ely on the back foot, with breakaway attacks wrecking havoc.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
It was just such an attack that brought the opening goal as Cambridge moved the ball superbly from deep, affording their front men time enough to tap home.
A pair of penalty corners handed City the ideal opportunity to extend their lead but both efforts were wasted as Ely fought back.
Having ridden the initial wave of attacks, Ely drew level after 12 minutes as a penalty corner was stroked home.
The home side kicked on in the aftermath of their equaliser and moved 2-1 ahead going in at half-time as a superb attacking move from wide was tucked in at the near post.
Cambridge came out with renewed purpose in the second half and needed just five minutes to draw level.
Ely shrugged off the setback though, and moved 4-2ahead in the next 15 minutes with some eye-catching attacking play.
With a comfortable cushion established however, Ely took their foot off the gas and Cambridge capitalised, firing two goals in the final period to snatch a draw.