Hockey: Ely City finish season in style
- Credit: Archant
Ely City women’s second team finished their season in style with a 5-0 win over Cambridge South.
An early hat-trick from Xenia Marshall, taking her tally for the season to 39, put them on top at the break.
And Kirsty Rogers extended the lead, before sweeper Karen Covey drilled home an unstoppable shot to see Ely finish the season unbeaten, 17 points clear at the top of the table with a goal difference of 106.
The firsts drew 2-2 at Haverhill as Hannah Brown, who shared the player of the match award with Rachel Carpenter, and Gemma Mott netted to finish fifth in East Three North West.
And the men’s thirds romped to an 11-0 win over Wisbech fourths after Owen Carford, Liam Goodson and Ben Reynolds all netted hat-tricks.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Shirley and David Carford also struck.
The seconds also finished the season strongly, beating Cambridge South fifths by a 3-0 margin.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph