Ely Emerge With A Point After Haverhill Battle
ELY City recovered from a goal down to take a share of the spoils at Haverhill Rovers on Monday (Dec 28). After some sloppy defending afforded Haverhill an early lead, the Robins rallied and grabbed an equaliser through Tony Beck to maintain their five ga
ELY City recovered from a goal down to take a share of the spoils at Haverhill Rovers on Monday (Dec 28).
After some sloppy defending afforded Haverhill an early lead, the Robins rallied and grabbed an equaliser through Tony Beck to maintain their five game unbeaten run.
Boss Denis Lightning, said: "Haverhill has not been the best ground for us in recent years so to have come away with a point was a good result.
"In the second-half it was a bit like the Alamo and Lee Pacey had to make two or three good saves to keep us in it, but we could have nicked a goal in the final few minutes as well."
You may also want to watch:
In what was a punishing game for both sides, it was the home side who broke the deadlock after 20 minutes as a hole in the centre of the Robins' defence was exploited.
Ely quickly brushed off the setback and drew level with 10 minutes of the half to go as Tony Beck slotted home from the edge of the area after some fine play from Scott Fielding.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
In the second-half Ely came under siege as Haverhill pushed for a winner but a combination of alert defending and good goalkeeping kept the scores level.