Ely Emerge With A Point After Haverhill Battle
ELY City recovered from a goal down to take a share of the spoils at Haverhill Rovers on Monday (Dec 28). After some sloppy defending afforded Haverhill an early lead, the Robins rallied and grabbed an equaliser through Tony Beck to maintain their five ga
ELY City recovered from a goal down to take a share of the spoils at Haverhill Rovers on Monday (Dec 28).
After some sloppy defending afforded Haverhill an early lead, the Robins rallied and grabbed an equaliser through Tony Beck to maintain their five game unbeaten run.
Boss Denis Lightning, said: "Haverhill has not been the best ground for us in recent years so to have come away with a point was a good result.
"In the second-half it was a bit like the Alamo and Lee Pacey had to make two or three good saves to keep us in it, but we could have nicked a goal in the final few minutes as well."
You may also want to watch:
In what was a punishing game for both sides, it was the home side who broke the deadlock after 20 minutes as a hole in the centre of the Robins' defence was exploited.
Ely quickly brushed off the setback and drew level with 10 minutes of the half to go as Tony Beck slotted home from the edge of the area after some fine play from Scott Fielding.
- 1 Police arrest 14-year-old after criminal behaviour order breach
- 2 Council told to pay costs as concrete factory wins appeal
- 3 Lucky escape for motorists who suffered minor injuries in A10 crash
- 4 Dog groomer produces stylish display on the global stage
- 5 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 6 Nine years jail for paedophile who 'manipulated and exploited' teenage girls
- 7 FOI reveals the number of A10 crashes between Stretham and Milton
- 8 Plans submitted for nine new homes in Littleport
- 9 Shellens quits after committee votes to gag Hickford debate
- 10 Man dies after falling from bridge on A14 between Histon and Milton
In the second-half Ely came under siege as Haverhill pushed for a winner but a combination of alert defending and good goalkeeping kept the scores level.