Ely edged out in trophy final by St Ives
- Credit: Archant
Golf ELY City narrowly missed out on the Jean Wilkinson Trophy after going down to St Ives in a close final.
The Jean Wilkinson Trophy is a team competition consisting of seven singles matches played off scratch within three different handicap bands.
In the first semi-final St Ives faced Saffron Walden, with Ives eventually winning on the 19th hole to clinch the match 4-3.
In the second semi-final Ely City played against Abbotsley and, although Abbotsley raced into an early lead, Ely gradually fought their way back by winning the fifth and six games to level the score. The final game went to the wire and Ely City secured a one up victory to claim the match 4-3.
The final got under way in heavy squally showers and St Ives took an early lead when Kathy Cooper, playing solid golf, clinched a 5 & 4 victory over Liz Smith. Ely City moved into the lead when Anne Mitchell defeated Sue Anderson 6 & 4 and Jane Webster secured a 1 up victory against Geraldine Fleming.
You may also want to watch:
St Ives fought their way back into the lead when captain Avis Drew clinched her match against Carol Harrison 5 & 4 and Steff Allen secured a similar score against Ros Grey.
With the rain giving way to sunshine, Ely City’s Jan Stuart-Monteath won her game against Karen Abbott 4 & 3 to level the match score at 3-3. This left the fourth pair still locked in battle for what proved to be the decider. St Ives’s Trish Whittamore came to the 18th one up and managed to halve the final hole against Sue Didlick for a one up victory to give St Ives a winning margin of 4-3.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment