Ely edge past Neots in trophy battle
ST Neots were the latest Egham Trophy opponents for an City of Ely team competing on multiple fronts for this season’s major honours.
Attempting to regain the trophy they won in 2010, progression in the competition required a resilient performance led primarily by Andy Easy’s home rink.
With Sara Matthews, Sue Alexander and Ian Brown, Easy again recorded the biggest win by an Ely rink by 30-15. Having started strongly his team were never behind and by the conclusion of the 15th end had built an unassailable lead of 15 shots. On the other home rink Greg Harlow with Rosemary Easy, Sarah Seymour and Andrew Ware, was having a very close match and after 18 ends their lead was only three shots but over the closing stages the lead was extended and Harlow eventually closed the match out 21-11.
On the away rinks Nick Brett, with Sarah Gove, Ellen and Chris Falkner had a very slow start and by 10 end ends was 16-6 down. News from the home rinks seemed to have an influence and Brett gradually pegged the lead back and ultimately drew 21 each. Meanwhile, Stuart Popple had a very steady match and held a good lead over Simon Leader all the way through their encounter finishing with a win by 22-16.
You may also want to watch:
Ely now face Kingsthorpe from Northampton in the last 32 of the Trophy on Sunday, December 4. This will conclude a very busy weekend for the club with the men facing Solihull in the last 32 of The Denny Cup on Saturday morning and Chesterton on Saturday afternoon in a London and Southern Counties match.
Earlier in the week Ely’s ladies over 60s double rink enjoyed a close fought victory over Huntingdon A in the latest round of The Mason Trophy. They will now face Peterborough A for a place in the last 32.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph