Ely duo retain their English indoor bowls crown
- Credit: Archant
Bowls CITY of Ely Bowls Club duo Nick Brett and Greg Harlow retained the pairs’ title at the English Indoor Bowls Championships at the weekend.
The Ely pair beat Bournemouth’s Chris Daniels and Pete Ward 24-20 in a gripping final to secure the trophy that they first won at the 2012 event.
Harlow and Brett were in control from their outset of their final and remained a healthy six shots clear after 15 ends.
The Bournemouth duo staged something of a fightback in the closing ends however, and narrowed the gap to just three shots going into the final three ends.
The Ely bowlers held their nerve however, and picked up a further two shots in the final three ends to take the win.
You may also want to watch:
Brett and Harlow paved the way into the final with wins over teams representing Essex County (23-4) and Desborough (26-16) in the quarter and semi-finals respectively.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph