Ely duo earn call-ups to Great Britain taekwondo squad
- Credit: George Barrett
Ely-based martial arts club Tuji Taekwondo have been celebrating after two of their members were picked for the Great Britain squad.
Ivan Crozier (male under-14) and Kamila Hughes (female under-50) were both selected after taking part in a competitive two-stage event online.
The selection process attracted hopeful players from clubs across the UK, who were then assessed by the national coaching team, and 11-year-old Crozier had a particularly tough task as the youngest of the applicants in his group, which included boys up to the age of 13.
But Crozier has more than six years of training behind him, having started at Tuji when aged just four years old, and already has a wealth of competition experience, including medals at national level, and earned his spot.
Hughes was already an active member of the national squad and retained her position for another year, having started taekwondo as an adult alongside her children.
You may also want to watch:
Having progressed through the ranks quickly, she is thrilled to have been awarded a place alongside others who have been training for decades.
The pair will now work with the national coaching team online over the coming months to hone their skills in preparation for national and international competitions in the coming year.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 4 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 8 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 9 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 10 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’