Ely & District Cycling Club report
- Credit: Archant
John Manlow was the sole Ely & District Cycling Club representative at the Hitchin Nomads race held on the F14/25 course near Guilden Morden on Saturday (May 19).
John’s time of 1:01:34 was a course personal best for him, nearly a minute faster than his previous best, and put him in 28th place on the day.
Meanwhile, five members of the EDCC were taking part in the ECCA Championship 10 mile time trial race on the E2/10 near Newmarket.
Martin Holmes was unable to finish due to punctures, while Alison Holmes finished with a time of 26 minutes 50 seconds.
Will Shepherd finished in 22:49 and Steve Peck in 21:59, narrowly beaten on the day by Derek Ricketts who was the fastest EDCC rider on the day with a time of 21:53 which put him in 58th place overall.
You may also want to watch:
On Sunday it was the third round of the Midlands XC mountain bike series.
Mathew Eley finished in 10th in the Sport Race while Mikie Burrell finished in 25th place both with four laps completed at the end of the race.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
The club promotes cycling as a sport in the Ely area and is open to anyone who wishes to take up cycling either as a leisure rider or more serious athlete.
Club time trial events are held on Tuesday evenings between April and August. These vary in distance from eight to 25 miles, either on out and back or circuit courses.
There are two club runs at the weekend, Saturday at 9am from Witchford VC, usually there are two groups, one at an Easy pace and one at a moderate pace.
Club runs on Sundays are at 9am from the Paradise Sports Centre in Ely. All rides are between 40 and 60 miles and are out for approximately three to four hours. A café stop is normally included
Junior coaching sessions take place at Ely College, Downham Road, Ely, CB6 2SH, on Monday evenings from 7-8pm for £4 per session. For more information contact Cliff Loveday 07443 953308
Winter Turbo Training session run from October through to March at Aldreth Village Hall.
Visit www.britishcycling.org.uk/club/profile/3076/ely-and-district-cc#pk3bO2sM1y8DgpVG.99 for more information.