Cycling: Ely members enjoy busy weekend
- Credit: Archant
Riders from Ely & District Cyling Club B&T Motor Repairs had a busy race schedule over the Bank Holiday weekend.
Members took part in three different time trials, starting on the Saturday at the Victoria CC race on the E1/10A course near Saffron Walden.
Cliff Loveday finished the 10-mile course in a time of 23 minutes 35 seconds, beating his previous best on the course by 39 seconds, as Martin Holmes finished the race in a time of 24.29.
On Sunday morning it was the ECCA championship race on the E2/25 course near Newmarket, where four Ely riders took part, riding the first half of the 25-mile course into a stiff headwind but enjoying the benefits of the tailwind on the return leg.
Darran Bennett was again the fastest Ely rider with a time of 53.48, followed by Dan Bromilow (55.15), John Manlow (56.31) and Derek Ricketts (57.48).
You may also want to watch:
Will Shepherd was the only Ely rider racing on Bank Holiday Monday, at he Stowmarket CC 10 event on the B10/38 course east of Bury St Edmunds.
Shepherd had an eventful race, with an early incident involving a pothole knocking his handlebars out of their usual position and later having to take evasive action to avoid a loose pony on the course, but he completed the race in a time of 23.23.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told