Ely Crusaders Triumph
ELY Crusaders came through gale force winds and two penalty shoot-outs to triumph in the U-9 category of the six-a-side tournament at Littleport. After successive wins against hosts Littleport (3-0) and Cherry Hinton B (5-0), Crusaders threw away a two-go
ELY Crusaders came through gale force winds and two penalty shoot-outs to triumph in the U-9 category of the six-a-side tournament at Littleport.
After successive wins against hosts Littleport (3-0) and Cherry Hinton B (5-0), Crusaders threw away a two-goal interval lead as they lost their third game to Witchford.
That left little room for error, but a quality 2-0 win over Cambridge Diamonds and a 1-1 draw against unbeaten Stretham put them through to the semi-finals.
Group B winners and pre-tournament favourites Cherry Hinton Lions A were their opponents, and the tie finished 1-1 after extra-time.
Ely then missed their first two penalties in the shoot-out, but held their nerve to progress 3-2 at the finish.
In the final against Waterbeach, Ely were unlucky not to win outright in normal and extra-time, the match again finishing 1-1.
- 1 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 2 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 3 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 4 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Family banned from turning garage into dining room
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Cricket club's bid to be 'loud and proud' thanks to new ground
- 9 Surgery’s renovation project takes next step forward
- 10 Man subjected to 'unprovoked attack' at village pavilion
The sides were level at 4-4 in the shoot-out after five penalties a-piece, so it all came down to the two goalkeepers.
Ely stopper Evan Jeckells deflected his counterpart's effort to safety, but emphatically drilled home his own attempt to secure the trophy.
Ely: A Brown, S Felton, E Frodsham, L Hook, E Jeckells, G Leech, J Marston,