Ely Crusaders Triumph
ELY Crusaders came through gale force winds and two penalty shoot-outs to triumph in the U-9 category of the six-a-side tournament at Littleport. After successive wins against hosts Littleport (3-0) and Cherry Hinton B (5-0), Crusaders threw away a two-go
ELY Crusaders came through gale force winds and two penalty shoot-outs to triumph in the U-9 category of the six-a-side tournament at Littleport.
After successive wins against hosts Littleport (3-0) and Cherry Hinton B (5-0), Crusaders threw away a two-goal interval lead as they lost their third game to Witchford.
That left little room for error, but a quality 2-0 win over Cambridge Diamonds and a 1-1 draw against unbeaten Stretham put them through to the semi-finals.
Group B winners and pre-tournament favourites Cherry Hinton Lions A were their opponents, and the tie finished 1-1 after extra-time.
You may also want to watch:
Ely then missed their first two penalties in the shoot-out, but held their nerve to progress 3-2 at the finish.
In the final against Waterbeach, Ely were unlucky not to win outright in normal and extra-time, the match again finishing 1-1.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
The sides were level at 4-4 in the shoot-out after five penalties a-piece, so it all came down to the two goalkeepers.
Ely stopper Evan Jeckells deflected his counterpart's effort to safety, but emphatically drilled home his own attempt to secure the trophy.
Ely: A Brown, S Felton, E Frodsham, L Hook, E Jeckells, G Leech, J Marston,